Poly Photo Club has a new website!
After months of work, the new PolyPhotoClub.com is online.
Why change? The main goal is to allow more members to contribute to the site rather than the two we have now, me running the site and Bob Howe maintaining the score sheet.
For now, I’ll be the only one working on the new site. In the near future, though, more members will have access.
For example, our workshop coordinator (Shelly) will be able to add events to the site’s calendar and our news editor (Jim) will be able to add news articles as often as he wishes rather than on a monthly or bi-monthly schedule,
Under the hood, our new, “dynamic” site now runs on the very popular and full-featured content-management software (CMS) called WordPress. WordPress allows us to do a lot more than we could with our old, static site:
- Articles can be added by any approved member (one who has been given an admin login) using an interface a lot like Word or other word-processing software,
- Photo galleries are more sophisticated than on our old site and easier to update,
- The events calendar is more full featured.
There is a lot more to be done. Later this year, we’ll have a members-only area where members can log in and see content not available to the general public. This could include:
- Discussion boards
- Member photo galleries and critiques
- Online access to club documents including bylaws, meeting minutes and the like
- An online contact list for members
- Online uploads of competition submissions
Eventually, the new website will offer all of the functionality of our Poly Yahoo group so that we can stop using Yahoo.
There are still a lot of details to be figured out and tons of work to be done. But we are making progress. If you’d like to help, or if you have suggestions, please let me know.